Travelling in January
City trips in January
A city trip can be a great way to experience the culture of your chosen destinations. Explore the culture, food, art, architecture and meet the diverse range of people who live in some of the most fascinating and beautiful cities around the world. Perpetuate the excitement of Christmas with a trip in January or take a much needed break in a new and exciting destination.
- Travel to New York for an incredible experience of probably the most diverse and lively city in the world and see why people from all over the world dream of a trip to The Big Apple. Visit the Met Museum, go to a baseball game or explore the cool, downtown regions of the city, discovering restaurants and bars along the way.
- For a European city break in January, Lisbon is the perfect choice. Meander the twisting, narrow streets and admire colourful buildings, traditional architecture and classic, picturesque squares where you can relax in a restaurant with a delicious Portuguese meal and a glass of wine.
- For an immersive city culture trip, visit Tokyo and enjoy the surreal mixture of ancient and modern that you won’t find anywhere else. Enjoy delicious food, interesting sites and fascinating culture, perhaps visiting a traditional bath house or one of Tokyo’s many restaurants serving up the classics.
Winter sun vacations in January
Nothing is more satisfying than escaping the cold and smugly jetting off to an exotic location in the sun. Why deal with the cold weather of January when you could escape it with a fantastic trip to a winter sun location?
- A trip to Australia is the perfect choice for those wishing to escape the cold, since January is peak summer time in Australia. Explore the interesting cities of Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide or the wilderness of the outback.
- Costa Ricais a perfect destination for an action packed vacation in the sun. Visit the rainforests and see the wildlife there or take a canopy tour through the treetops and see this stunning location from a totally new perspective.
- The white sandy beaches of the Maldivesare a classic destination for a winter sun getaway. Bathe in the warm waters or relax on the beach. Snorkel around the shallows of any of the many islands and feel as though you have the place entirely to yourself.
Winter vacations in January
To make the most of the beautiful scenery that the winter months can bring, why not go to on of Northern Europe’s winter destinations and explore in the snow. Go dog-sledding, stay in an igloo or go skiing and have the winter trip of a lifetime.
- Visit Iceland and see how much it lives up to its name as you stay in an ice hotel or watch The Northern Lights as they light up the sky. Visit Reykjavik and enjoy the cultural sites, visiting galleries, museums and restaurants as you explore this cool city.
- Russia’s picturesque winters are an incredible choice for anyone wanting an incredible winter trip in January. Visit Moscow or St Petersburg and see the famous royal palaces and cathedral with a pristine, snowy backdrop.
- Relax after a day of snowshoeing or dog-sledding in a traditional hot tub in Greenland and tick a sighting of the breathtaking Northern Lights off your bucket list. Enjoy the beautiful countryside of Greenland as you explore the ice cap or take a snowmobile tour.
Best wildlife destinations in January
Whether you’re an animal lover, a nature enthusiast or a family with children; a wildlife tour will be unforgettable no matter where you choose to go. Here are our top 3 for wildlife destinations in January.
- The Galapagos is perhaps the best destination in the world for those looking to get a true taste of nature at its finest and during January, with the warm season in full swing, you’ll be able to do so in a tropical climate. Sounds perfect!
- With the Amazon river snaking through this destination, you’ll see so many animals on a visit to Colombia. Take a river cruise or a rafting trip and see the animals in their natural habitats along the banks.
- Australia is well known for is huge range of wildlife and has so much to offer besides snakes and spiders! Visit a wildlife rescue sanctuary and see koalas, kangaroos, dingos, echidna and so much more. What’s more, January is the middle of the Australian summer so you’ll be able to escape the winter at the same time!
Best festivals in January
After New Year’s celebrations, January can be anticlimactic, so why not travel to one of these incredible January festival destinations and keep the party going?
- January is the time for Tweede Nuwe Jaar in Cape Town, South Africa, and is the perfect choice for those wanting to perpetuate their New Year celebrations, since the name means ‘second new year’. Music galore, parades, competitions and processions appear all over Cape Town making it an unbeatable time to visit this amazing South African city in January.
- While Chinese New Year is traditionally celebrated in February, Thailand celebrates it early, with their huge parades and festivities falling in the month of January. Come and try delicious food, see the colourful streets and meet the people as they flood the Chinatown area of Bangkok.
Family vacations in January
January is the perfect time to get away as a family, with school vacations still in swing and Christmas out of the way, you’ll be able to spend some incredible time together on a trip to one of our top choices for family getaways in January.
- For the ultimate family adventure in January, go to New Zealandand discover why this is one of the top family destinations in the world. Cycle, sail, walk, drive, run, fly; New Zealand has a choice for everyone and is the home of thrilling adventure. Follow a route that will take you past all of the sites from your favourite films such as Lord of The Rings and be blown away by the sheer beauty of New Zealand’s landscapes.
- Visit the alien landscapes of Jordan to enjoy walking, quad-biking and exploring in the famous filming location of Star Wars. Camp in the desert or explore the ancient city of Petra carved into the desert rocks.
- In Costa Rica you and your family will have so many activities to choose from. Meet the animals that live here or explore the rain forests on a canopy tour, walking along special walkways high up in the trees. Go zip-lining or river rafting before relaxing in a special tree-house accommodation.
Honeymoon ideas in January
After a winter wedding, a January honeymoon can either be a chance to enjoy an incredibly romantic destination in the winter, or to escape to sunnier shores and enjoy some time in the sun as you relax on your first trip as a married couple.
- For a classic honeymoon, visit Sri Lanka, whose breathtaking beaches and coves will be the perfect place to enjoy one another’s company before relaxing in a spa or luxury hotel. Explore Sri Lankan towns and cities while you’re here and see the bustle that this destination is so well known for. Try incredible authentic Sri Lankan food or even luxury cuisine.
- Visit Costa Rica for a honeymoon with a twist. If lying on a beach or in a spa all day is not your idea of fun, then why not take a more adventurous honeymoon in the rain forests and natural surroundings of Costa Rica, where you’ll be able to cycle, hike and climb to your heart’s content.
- Italy isn’t known as one of the most romantic countries in the world for nothing and it is the perfect honeymoon destination. Enjoy the rich history, art, architecture, culture and the delicious food and drink as you explore one of Italy’s famous spots, such as Florence or Venice. Relax in the Tuscan countryside and enjoy the beautiful January scenery.