The Aurora Borealis is a breathtaking natural phenomenon. Starting in the Northern Lights City, this short self-drive trip includes stunning highlights: hunting the Northern lights, enjoying a dog sled ride, and meeting a Sami family and their reindeer herd. Stay overnight in an authentic fishing lodge, in an original Sami “lavvu” yurt, and even an ice hotel!
Time to visit: January through AprilSee more
The itinerary has been created by our local agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
A land of mystique...
• Drive your rental car to a cosy fishing lodge by the Alta River. Park up and get cozy!
• Take time to relax in the sauna or enjoy a hot chocolate by the fireplace with your favorite book.
• Slip on some snowshoes and walk by the nearby river side for wintry views and landscapes.
• Enjoy breakfast on us before heading out for your dog sledding experience.
• Spend a full day outdoors in the forest, along a frozen river and at the foothills of the mountains.
• Enjoy the amazing local cuisine at your lodge. All produce is local and delicious. And of course, keep an eye out for the Aurora Borealis
• Meet a Sami family who will share their daily life with you. Feel free to ask questions, and always remember to ask before taking photos of them.
• Learn of the culture and history of Sami, and reindeer herding. The reindeer is a vitally important animal, you will understand its role in this culture today.
• Spend the night in the lavvu and sleep on a bed of reindeer hides. Remember to take a moment and realize where you are!
• After a Sami breakfast in the lavvu, take the snowmobile back to Kautokeino. Yes that's right, we will travel by snowmobile!
• Visit Juhl’s silver gallery, famous for its handmade jewelry before heading back towards Alta this afternoon.
• Sleep in an igloo hotel where the exterior and interior are made of ice. Despite its freezing construction material, you will feel warm and cozy.
Farewell friends, come back again soon!
• Enjoy a warm sauna before breakfast.
• Drive to the airport and deliver your rental car to the agency
• We hope you experienced the Aurora Borealis ha det!
The price reflects this specific tour itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Season||Price Per Adult|
Prices Starting From
|All year round||£1,240|