If you've got two weeks to spare and are looking for a self-drive trip combining the natural, historical, and cultural highlights of South Africa, this is the itinerary for you! Across 16 days, you'll jump into city life in Johannesburg, glance across Blyde River Canyon, spot the Big Five from a safari in Kruger National Park, stop off forhand-crafted souvenirs in the Swaziland, venture to the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu War, stroll around Knysna Lagoon, sip local wine in the Wine Country, and round off your trip discovering the vibrant cities of Port Elizabeth and Cape Town!See more
The itinerary has been created by our local agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
Welcome to South Africa!
• Meet and greet at Johannesburg/Tambo Airport.
•Our guide will hand you over your trip documents so you can pick-up your rental car from the airport.
• Take it easy after your long journey. Our agency is prepared with options in the city if you want to get out and move around!
Binoculars at the ready.
• Head off to the Blyde River Canyon for panoramic views of the rock formations over 26km.
• We then recommend you take a detour to the village of Pilgrim's Rest.
• Travel on to White River in the late afternoon.
Today is straight out of The Lion King!
• After breakfast, max your time in the Kruger National Park from sunrise to sunset.
• Set off on a safari in one of the world's biggest and most diverse game reserves.
• Lunch in the park at the rest camp, or order a packed lunch from your hotel.
• After a delicious breakfast, head to the local Ezulwini craft market to browse around and get an idea of local artisans and artists!
• Take your time today and enjoy the drive, the scenery and the friendly people you meet along the way.
• Breakfast, then travel north to the Natal area.
• Set off on a Big Five-spotting safari in Hluhluwe Game Reserve, renowned for saving the white rhino from extinction in the 70s.
• Stop off at one of the Zulu kraals to learn about the rich zulu cultural heritage.
• After breakfast, set off to visit the battlefields of the Anglo-Zulu war.
• Continue on to the Siege Museum in Ladysmith, mapping the Boer War (or Blood River Battlefield).
• Catch your flight from Durban to Port Elizabeth.
• Pick up your rental car at the airport and drive to your hotel for check-in.
• Rest of the day free to enjoy at your own leisure.
How about a different landscape today?
• Off to the town of Plettenberg, which boasts the most famous beach of the Garden Route.
• Hiking/walking lovers, take a stroll around Tsitsikamma Forest or Storm River Mouth for a spectacular panorama over the National Park.
• Drive on to Knysna, famous for its lagoon!
• Visit the little town of Knysna.
• The town surrounds a magnificent protected lagoon where you can cruise.
•You can also head to the local markets to pick up hand-crafted wood carvings and souvenirs.
• We recommend a visit to Oudtshoorn, a historical ostrich-breeding town.
• Discover the secrets of ostrich farming - the bravest among you can even take a ride.
• Head to the limestone formations of Cango Caves.
After all that exploring, it is time for some wine!
• Lets start with an orientation tour of the town of Stellenbosch in the mountains.
• Visit the village museum complex and its gardens, representing different architectural periods.
• Tour of the Franschhoek, in one of the most beautiful wine valleys in the world.
• Take a look inside the Huguenot Memorial Museum, or stretch your legs on the streets exploring art galleries, organic markets, boutiques, and award-winning wine restaurants.
• Set off on a city tour of Cape Town.
• Head to the Castle of Good Hope, Company Gardens, Bo-Kaap, and Victoria and Alfred Waterfront.
• Take the cable car up to Table Mountain for panoramic views over the harbor and bay.
• Once at the top, marvel at the views, have a bite to eat in the restaurant, or do some shopping.
• Full-day visit of the Peninsula.
• Stop off at Hout Bay between Cape Town and Cape Point to take a boat over to Seal Island, and Chapman's Peak Drive hacked into the rocks.
Head to Cape Point's Lighthouse.
All aboard to Robben Island
• Take the boat to Robben Island. The tour includes a cruise and museum visit of this iconic site.
• Take your time today! This is a powerful and emotional site - we ask that you listen today, take it all in and appreciate the stories.
It has been a pleasure to travel with you!
• Unfortunately, your trip reaches its end!
• Transfer to the airport for your flight onwards.We hope you've had an incredible time.
The price reflects this specific tour itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.