Follow the Mayans back in time through the states of Chiapas, Campeche, and the Yucatan. Created for families or small groups, this 10-day, customizable self-drive tour will take you through jungles and rainforests to turquoise waterfalls, secluded swimming holes, archaeological sites, and colonial cities once inhabited by Spanish conquistadores. Get ready to dive into the mystical ancient world of the Mayan civilization!
The itinerary has been created by our local agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
Welcome to Mexico! Prepare for your Mayan adventure...
• Rental car pick-up from airport
• Set off to your hotel for check-in
• Free evening to relax on the beach or explore Cancún
Total driving distance for the day: approx 200km (2h30)
• Set off to explore the fascinating colonial city of Valladolid
• Continue to Chichén Itzá to visit the ancient Mayan ruins
• Optional evening activity: Chichen Itza Light & Sound Show
Total driving distance for the day: approx 150km (2h)
• Visit Chichén Itzá, Mexico's most famous archaeological site
• Take a dip in the crystal clear water of Cenote Yokdzonot
• Stop off at Izamal Monastery on the way to Mérida
Total driving distance for the day: approx 250km (3h30)
• Explore Mérida, 'The White City,' and try some local delicacies
• Continue on to the 17th century Hacienda Yaxcopoil
• Stop off at the ancient ruins of Uxmal en-route to Campeche
Total driving distance for the day: approx 310km (4h30)
• Explore the colourful fishing village of Campeche
• Drive on to Palenque in the afternoon
• Free evening to relax or enjoy the local cuisine in Palenque
Take a photo from Palenque's stunning Temple of Inscriptions...
• Explore the ancient city of Palenque, hidden in the jungle
• Continue on to the waterfalls of Agua Azul, 60km south
• Take a dip in Misol Ha Waterfall on your way back to Palenque
Today, you'll be taken to Mayan ruins unknown to tourists...
• Organised tour of Yaxchilán, reachable only via boat
• Continue on to Bonampak, a site hidden in the rainforest
• Return to Palenque at 7pm and free evening to relax
Total driving distance for the day: approx 380km (5h30)
• Drive to your hotel in Calakmul and check-in
• Visit of Calakmul Biosphere Reserve, deep in the jungle
• Explore the Reserve, and snap pics of the rich wildlife
Total driving distance for the day: approx 250km (4h)
• Visit of Calakmul excavation site, a hidden local gem
• Continue on to the idyllic Laguna Bacalar to wind down
• Relax on the beach or rent a kayak to explore the lagoon
The price reflects this specific tour itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Price per person, based on 3-star hotel, compact four-door manual car|