Explore the highlights of Costa Rica through the freedom of a 14 day, self-drive journey. This active trip will immerse you in tropical paradise as you trek around Arenal Volcano, raft the Balsa River and zip-line through Monteverde Cloud Forest. When it's time to relax, bathe in hot springs, bird-watch from hanging bridges above the rainforest, enjoy fantastic spa treatments, or simply soak up the sun at the beach. You will have plenty of opportunities to do a little more, or a little less.See more
The itinerary has been created by our local agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
Your tropical adventure has just begun...
• Arrival at Liberia Airport and pick up your 4WD rental vehicle
• Drive to Rincon de la Vieja volcano, and relax
• Spend your first day horse-riding or tubing
Select activities from the options below...
• Set off on a horse-back ride
• Hike through the jungle to hidden waterfalls
• Visit Las Pailas' volcanic craters
Bask in the serenity of the mountains...
• Transfer to Monteverde, one of the country's major eco-tourism destinations
• Try bird-watching or photographing nature
• Explore two forest reserves
Get your camera ready...
• Take a guided tour of Curi Cancha Refuge
• Spot Incredible wildlife such as armadillos, sloths, coatis and monkeys
• Hike through the reserve and take in the views
Time for a day of pampering in style…
• Hit the road and drive to Arenal Volcano (3h)
• Indulge in a treatment at the hotel spa
• Connect with nature and be still as you marvel at volcanic vistas
View the jungle from the treetops…
• Embark on the Arenal hanging bridges excursion
• Walk along 3 kilometers of bridges
• Later, venture out on a night tour of the jungle
Water sports and local encounters…
• Take a white-water rafting trip on the Balsa River
• Recharge over a lunch of fresh fruits & local produce
• Set off on a cultural tour of La Fortuna and meet the locals
Glide through “Venice in the Jungle”…
• Transfer to the diverse Tortuguero National Park
• Take a tour of a banana processing plant
• Explore the canals and local village by foot
Experience a true Caribbean sunrise…
• Wake up early for a dawn tour of the canals
• Enjoy the private trails of your lodge or take out one of its boats
• Brave an optional turtle watching night tour
Activities for land and sea lovers in Guanacaste...
• Fly to San José, then drive to Flamingo Beach
• Spend the afternoon soaking up the sun at your resort's beach
• Go fishing, swimming or snorkeling
Take a dip, snorkel, or stay on the sand...
• Sunbathe on your beach, or visit one nearby
• Discover Conchal, Sugar Beach or Tamarindo
• Free evening to relax and unwind in the sun
Second day on the beach...
• Take another day to soak up the sun
• Go for a trek in the jungle to discover the wildlife
• Rent a surfboard, snorkel or kayak for the day
Your final day in Costa Rica…
• Transfer to Liberia and return your rental car
• Check into your luxurious hotel
• Make the most of your final evening and visit the city
We hope you've had an incredible trip!
• Transfer to Liberia International Airport for departure
The price reflects this specific tour itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.