Explore the splendors of the Himalayan Kingdom, traveling from west to central Bhutan. Known as the “happiness country” to the outside world with friendly and hospitable people, this tour offers an incredible mix of fantastic mountain views, untouched wilderness, stunning flora and fauna and charming villages for all. Begin from Thimphu, the capital of Bhutan, to Bumthang, the spiritual heartland of the country and home to the oldest Buddhist temples and monasteries. Also, enjoy short hikes in between.See more
The itinerary has been created by our local agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
• Transport from Airport to Hotel
Depending on the time of your arrival, we will tailor-make your best day in Bhutan ! Here are some of our suggestions…
• Travel to Thimphu, the capital of Bhutan for an hour. En route explore the Centenary Farmers Market on the banks of the Wangchhu River selling farm produces, local arts and crafts, etc.
• Tonight enjoy a welcome drink and dinner with authentic traditional Bhutanese recipes. Foods served are fresh and organic that is cooked over open fire in the Bhutanese traditional style of cooking. Enjoy!
• Overnight in Thimphu.
• After breakfast we will hike to Cheri Monastery, which is Bhutan's oldest built 1620, that passes through the green forest and a cantilever bridge, vibrant with prayer flags, for about 40-minutes.
• Cheri Monastery is home to many sacred relics and also a meditation center. Here you will have the opportunity to interact with Buddhist monks including retreat, meditations, mindfulness movement experiences, teachings, dialogue, transmissions, and a religious ceremony.
• Another must see place to tick off on your list is Kuenselphodrang. It is the largest Buddha Dordenma statue in the world (at 51.5m) situated on a hill offering a panoramic view of the Thimphu valley.
• Use your free time to relax or explore the great atmospheric Thimphu town.
• Overnight in Thimphu.
• After breakfast, we will travel to Punakha, the old capital of Bhutan.
• En route stop off at the Druk Wangyal Chortens (108 stupas). On a clear day, you will enjoy an amazing 360-degree panoramic view of the snow capped mountain peaks of eastern Himalayas.
• Hike to the monastery Chimi Lhakhang. Later, visit the adminstrative center Punakha Dzong built in 1637.
• Overnight in Punakha.
• Today our journey takes us to the bowl-shaped glacial valley of Phobjikha via Wangdue Phodrang. En route you will see fortress-like building Wangdue Phodrang Dzong.
• The rest of the day is to take a day walk around the Phobjikha valley encircled by pine forests. If your lucky you can spot the rare black-necked Cranes on your way.
• This morning drive to Trongsa at an altitude of 3,300m which takes you over the Black Mountains. It is not uncommon to encounter grazing yaks by the roadside along the highway.
• Lunchtime is at Trongsa, the ancestral home of the present Royal Family of Bhutan. You’ll be awestruck by the majestic architectural masterpiece of Trongsa Dzong with a distinctive yellow roof.
• We visit the dzong and then continue towards Bumthang. On the way, you will have an option to stop for a quick visit to the Yathra Weaving Centre at Chumey village, where they use yak and sheep wools for yathra products with patterns unique to Bumthang.
•The evening is at leisure to relax, enjoy or explore the delightful surroundings of Bumthang valley.
• Overnight in Bumthang.
•Today enjoy a sightseeing tour in one of the most beautiful and rich spiritual valleys of Bhutan. Bumthang valley is wide, filled with green countryside, fast flowing mountain streams and snow-capped mountains.
• Amongst the four main valleys, the Tang valley is the most off-the-beaten-track and peaceful place around Bumthang, and Tang is known for its sheep, potatoes and buckwheat (flowers in October) including apple orchards and diary farms.
• Continue to the impressive Ogyen Choling Heritage House atop the hill, which houses a museum of the ancient way of life.
• Overnight in Tang valley at a cozy and comfortable guesthouse run by the family of Ogyen Choling Heritage House.
• Today our journey takes us back to Trongsa to visit that stunning fortress Trongsa dzong.
• Then, we will drive to Kinga Rabten, the old winter palace of the second King Jigme Wangchuk. The journey passes through open countryside high above river gorge and come across the farming fields & villages.
• The evening is at leisure to relax and enjoy or to explore the idyllic Trongsa town and its surroundings.
• Overnight in Trongsa.
• After an early breakfast, we head back to Paro via Wangdue Phodrang and Punakha. The journey passes through the awe-inspiring mountains and lush vegetation.
• If time permits, we continue with the temple of Kyichu Lhakhang. Built by the first King of Tibet Songtsen Gampo, this 7th century monastery is one of the oldest and sacred landmarks that introduced Buddhism into Bhutan.
• The evening is at leisure to explore the Paro town and may wish to hunt for souvenirs in Handicraft Shops or visit a local farmhouse to drink tea with the farmer and his family, allowing you to experience the traditional Bhutanese village life.
• Overnight in Paro.
• This morning you’ll embark on an early morning hike to Paro Taktshang monastery (Tiger’s Nest). No visit to Bhutan would be complete without a trip to Taktshang. It is stunning in its beauty and location.
• The trail is a wide, uphill the entire way but not overly steep, on the well-maintained trail through beautiful pine forest, trees festooned with Spanish Moss and fluttering prayer flags. Hiking poles and also a horse/pony hiring is available from this start point.
• The later part of the afternoon is at leisure – why not soak up in a hot stone bath at farmhouse?
• Overnight in Paro.
• Transfer to Paro International Airport for your onward journey accompanied by your guide.
We hope you're in love with Buthan as much as we are...! Tashi Delek!
The price reflects this specific tour itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Season||Price Per Adult|
Prices Starting From
|From January to February||£1,710|
|From March to May||£2,070|
|From June to August||£1,710|
|From September to November||£2,070|